- About Us
- Our Ministries
- Get Involved
- Media Center
- CPC Store
- Contact Us
Eagle Pass, Texas and Piedras Negras, Mexico are connected by the Eagle Pass-Piedras Negras International Bridge, Camino Real International Bridge, and the Eagle Pass Union Pacific International Railroad Bridge.
The city was founded in 1849. It was renamed Ciudad Porfirio Díaz in 1888, in homage to President Porfirio Díaz, but reverted to its original name following the Mexican Revolution.In Spanish Piedras Negras translates to "black rocks" – a reference to the coal deposits that exist in the area. Across the river, coal was formerly mined on the US side at Dolchburg, near Eagle Pass. This mine closed around 1905, after a fire.
In the Northern Region of Coahuila there are approximately 300,000 inhabitants. According to the National Institute of Statistics, Geography and Data Processing (INEGI), in 2005 the population of the municipio of Piedras Negras was of 143,915 inhabitants; this is equal to 5.77% of the population of Coahuila. 17% of the population of Piedras Negras came from other states, 3% are foreigners, and the rest are native-born in Coahuila.Piedras Negras has a high population growth due in part by its status as a border city fueled by US bound exports from several factories and also by illegal immigrants who hope to cross the border.
For more information on Piedras Negras visit Wikipedia .